½ cup water, (118 g) warmed to 110 degrees F
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup milk, (123 g)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups all purpose flour, (545 g) plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 12 Texas Smokers JALAPENO W/ CHEESE Sausages
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- Pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast. Stir to combine. Let this sit for 5 minutes to activate the yeast, it will be bubbly and foamy.
- Stir together the eggs, melted butter, milk, remaining sugar, and salt.
- Add this mixture to the yeast mixture in the bowl. Pour in half of the flour.
- Using a dough hook, mix until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix. Dough will be sticky. Continue to knead for another 2-3 minutes, dough will still be sticky.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour on a clean working surface. Using your hands or a silicone spatula scrape all of the dough onto the floured surface.
- Using your hands, knead the dough 2-3 times until dough forms into a smooth ball thanks to the small amount of extra flour on your work-surface.
- Pour the teaspoon of oil into a large bowl and spread around to coat the bottom half of the bowl, then place the dough in the bowl, spin and turn over so the top of the dough is lightly greased.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After 40 minutes, while dough is still rising, add the sausages to a large skillet and cook until warmed through, turning while they cook to ensure all sides are lightly seared.
- Remove the cover from the bowl, punch the dough down, then remove the dough to a work surface lightly sprinkled with the remaining tablespoon of flour.
- Press the dough into a rectangular shape, approximately 7 inches by 5 inches.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal square shapes.
- Prepare a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, press the dough into a larger square shape, approximately 3 inches by 3 inches. Place a half slice of cheese on one side, then lay the sliced jalapeño on top, then the sausage.
- Roll the dough and pinch together where it meets.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Press some sliced jalapeno on the top of the dough if desired.
- Continue until all the kolaches are prepared. Place the kolaches on the baking sheet with approximately 1/2 to 1 inch of space in between, they rise while they bake, but it’s ok if they run into each other.
- Cover and let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- While rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the cover from the kolaches, prepare the egg wash by beating the egg with the water. Then brush this over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until the tops are golden. Turn the baking sheet during the middle of baking if needed for even browning.
- Let cool for several minutes, then serve warm.